If you’re a kayaker, then you know how important it is to launch your kayak from a boat ramp. Boat ramps provide a smooth surface that makes launching and landing much easier than trying to launch from a rocky shoreline. In this article, we’ll discuss how to safely launch your kayak from a boat ramp.
How to launch a kayak from a boat ramp? The simple way to launch a kayak from a boat ramp is to simply slide it off the end of the boat ramp. This is how most kayakers launch.
Table of Contents
How To Launch A Kayak From A Boat Ramp?
When launching from a boat ramp, always face your kayak toward the water. You do not want to be facing the shore when you’re in the water.
If you launch your kayak towards the dock, it’s much harder to get back inside once you fall out.
How Do You Determine The Best Place To Launch Your Kayak From A Boat Ramp?
The best place to launch your kayak at a boat ramp is just downstream of the ramp where the water flow is moving quickly. Launching here will allow you to paddle away from the boat ramp quickly and easily rather than fighting against a strong current at the top of the ramp which can be very dangerous if you are not aware of how fast the current is moving.
It is important not to launch your kayak just downstream of the boat ramp because you could end up having to paddle against the current for some time before reaching an area that is not as strong or you may be battling strong currents the entire trip down the river.
What Are Some Tips For Launching A Kayak From A Boat Ramp Safely And Efficiently?
- Always make sure you are holding onto the boat to prevent it from floating downstream while you put on your life jacket, spray skirt, etc.
- Make sure that your kayak is in a neutral or “stopped” position while loading gear into your kayak so that it doesn’t begin to float away while you’re trying to get on.
- Always use a paddle leash to secure your paddles to yourself or your kayak to prevent losing them if you drop them into the water while getting into or out of your kayak.
- When you’re ready to launch, hold onto the boat with one hand in order to maintain control of it while you get into your kayak with the other hand.
- If you drop your paddle while getting into or out of your kayak, do not attempt to retrieve it while in the water because you could easily lose both your paddles and possibly even yourself by trying to be a hero and save them! Always make sure someone is onshore who can help you retrieve your paddles if they fall into the water.
- When you’re ready to get out of your kayak, it’s best to step out by the cockpit instead of trying to turn around and exit from the rear of your kayak where you could be risking a dangerous flip over.
- Make sure you test the water and find out how strong and fast it is moving before getting into or out of your kayak.
- Always carry a spare paddle if possible to prevent losing your paddles if they fall into the water, which can easily happen without warning.
How To Paddle Away From The Boat Ramp?
If you’re having trouble paddling away from the boat ramp because there is a strong current pushing against you, try this method to make it easier to paddle away.
Lean back in your kayak while holding onto the side of it with one hand in order to maintain control of your kayak.
Use the foot closest to the water on the side that you’re trying to paddle away from to scoot yourself back into the current in order to get around and past it.
Once you’ve gotten around and passed the strong current, use your paddles like oars in front of you in order to push yourself forward.
This will allow you to paddle away from the boat ramp without having to fight a strong current any further.
I hope this article was useful for you and provided you with some great information on how to launch your kayak from a boat ramp. It’s important to know where the best place is to launch your kayak so that it will be easy and safe for you.
In the end, hope this guide about how to launch a kayak from a boat ramp proves to be helpful and informative for you.
Q1. How do I know if the water is too strong and fast before trying to launch my kayak?
The best way to test how strong and fast the current of the water is by putting your paddle in it or stepping into it with one foot. You should not be able to keep your paddle in it or stand in it with one foot when the water is too strong and fast.
Q2. How do I know if the area that I want to launch my kayak from is a good place or not?
The best place to launch your kayak is an area that has very little current and depth in order for you to be able to easily maneuver in and out of the water.
Q3. What is the difference between launching my kayak from a boat ramp and trying to launch it into open water?
Launching a kayak from a boat ramp is much safer because you can easily return to the shore if necessary. Launching your kayak into open water can be risky because you could get stranded out in the open water without anyone nearby to help you if something goes wrong.